Your wood fence is a lovely addition to your home, but from time to time you will have to refinish and repaint it. This not only keeps it looking great, but can prevent damage from insects and rot.
How often do you need to be painting your fence? Experts recommend to finish and paint every two to three years; however, it depends on the climate and weather where you live. If you live in a particularly rainy area you may find that you need to do this more frequently. If the fence absorbs moisture rather than beading on the surface, it is time to refinish.
Should you stain or paint? Both options protect from weather, insects and normal aging. However, each has its advantages and disadvantages. Painting is generally less expensive, but may need to be done more often. Staining is more expensive initially, but is better absorbed into the wood, making it last longer. Stain is also now available in a variety of colors.
How should you prepare?
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help, but ask in advance! Having a friend or neighbor help you out will make the process go so much faster.
- Before you choose a paint or stain, do some research. Read reviews and ask friends and family for ideas. Find one that is f high quality and that will last.
- Determine what tools and materials you will need, and come up with a budget.
- Repair fence as needed before beginning to paint or stain. Address any broken posts, cracks, and so on.
- Make sure there will be no rain on the day you plan to do the job, as well as a couple days following. The temperature should be between 40 and 90 degrees.
- Use gloves and a face mask when working.
Courtesy of HGTV